Copy & Paste This Code:

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Addicted

I have always known that it would be hard to live without chocolate...
But until going an entire month without it, I had no idea just how addicted I am to it.  I crave it.  I think about it at the most odd times.  I have yet to dream about it, but I know that isn't far away. 

Lately I feel in some ways, like an Alcoholic:

Early-Stage Alcoholism
The early stages of alcoholism begin when individuals start relying on alcohol to enhance their mood and escape from their problems. They begin thinking more and more about their next drink and from where it will come.
Tolerance levels gradually increase as the body adapts to greater amounts of alcohol. Since a drinker at this stage is often able to function without appearing impaired, it may not be obvious to those around him or her that a drinking problem exists in the early alcoholism stages.

* Middle-Stage Alcoholism
The next stage of the disease is earmarked by an increasing need and desire for alcohol. As a result, individuals drink greater quantities and more often, including consumption earlier in the day and/or later into the evening.
The alcoholic is now losing control over drinking, and the body is no longer able to process alcohol the same way it did in the early alcoholism stages.  At this point, the drinker may outwardly deny having a drinking problem; while it is apparent to loved ones, friends and co-workers.

*End-Stage Alcoholism
As the disease advances through the stages of alcoholism, the alcoholic becomes obsessed with drinking to the exclusion of nearly everything else. Hangovers, blackouts, stomach and other health-related problems are regular occurrences. Physical and mental health continues to degrade as the body’s organs become increasingly damaged and functionally impaired.
Malnutrition also takes its toll. Large amounts of alcohol interfere with the digestive process and inhibit the passage of nutrients to the bloodstream.
Compounding the problem, a damaged liver from consumption prevents nutrients from being converted into a usable form that the body can assimilate. Physical health is quite poor by the time the alcoholic reaches the end alcoholism stages.

So, after reading this, I am a self-proclaimed Chocoholic
I had no idea.  My mind wants it, my body needs it.

The church teaches us about the word of wisdom.  We know why we don't consume hot beverages, alcohol, etc.  We are also taught not to take anything into our body the would stimulate our heart or mind.  Chocolate has caffeine.  Caffeine is a stimulant. Hence the reason for me attempting to master this demon inside of me...but it is hard.  Today marks the end of 1 month without it.  Until next month...

Just sayin'.

1 comment:

Just Joan said...

I am addicted to sugar in any form!!